Sunday, August 18, 2019

Convergence of the series $sum_{n = 1}^{+infty}{left(nsin{frac{1}{n}}right)^n}$



I have to study the convergence of the series



$$
\sum_{n = 1}^{+\infty}{\left(n\sin{\frac{1}{n}}\right)^n}

$$



and



$$
\sum_{n = 1}^{+\infty}{\left(\left(n\sin{\frac{1}{n}}\right)^n - 1\right)}.
$$



I know I should study the limit




$$
\lim_{n\to +\infty}{\left(n\sin{\frac{1}{n}}\right)^n}
$$



and that



$$
\lim_{n\to +\infty}{n\sin{\frac{1}{n}}} = 1
$$




but I don't see how it helps. Any ideas ?



Thank you in advance !


Answer



On the interval $(0,1)$ we have
$$ 1-\frac{x^2}{6} \leq \frac{\sin x}{x}\leq e^{-x^2/6} $$
hence $\left(n\sin\frac{1}{n}\right)^n$ behaves like $e^{-\frac{1}{6n}}=1-\frac{1}{6n}+O\left(\frac{1}{n^2}\right)$ for large values of $n$ and the given series are divergent.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...