Sunday, August 4, 2019

functions - How to write down a bijection from $mathbb N$ onto $mathbb Ntimesmathbb Ntimesmathbb N$?



I'm looking for a bijection from $\mathbb N$ to $\mathbb N\times\mathbb N\times\mathbb N$.





  • I know it exists

  • I know an informal way to define one, ordering the triplets of natural numbers in a 3D array an counting them diagonally as they do here with 2D array.

  • And I know a bijection from $\mathbb N\times\mathbb N\times\mathbb N$ to $\mathbb N$ from this answer which uses factorization



But how to write it explicitly?



Thank you very much.


Answer




Use Cantor's pairing function $\langle \cdot, \cdot \rangle: \mathbb{N} \times \mathbb{N} \to \mathbb{N}$ twice: $(a,b,c) \mapsto \langle \langle a,b \rangle, c \rangle$. Cantor's pairing function has an inverse which is easily-stated if a bit fiddly (see the proof of bijectivity on the linked Wikipedia page).


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...