Saturday, March 17, 2018

Proving $3^n geq 3n$ using mathematical induction



So I have to prove that $3^n$ is greater than or equal to $3n$ using induction. The base case is a not a problem, but I can't seem to figure out where to go for $(n-1)$. I've tried saying:
$$3^n=3\cdot3^{n-1}>3\cdot3(n-1)$$
$$3\cdot3(n-1)=9n-9$$



I'm pretty sure my end goal is $3n$, but I'm not really sure how to get there.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.


Answer




I will show that we may assume that the inequality holds for some $k$ and use that to show that it holds for $k+1$.



Use the base case $n=2$, $3^2>3(2)$, which is obviously true.



Now, assume that for $n=k$ that $3^k>3k$. This is called the induction hypothesis. Now, we must prove the inequality for $k+1$.



$3^k>3k$ via our induction hypothesis.



$3\cdot3^k>3\cdot3k$ multiplying by $3$ on both sides.




$3^{k+1}>3\cdot3k>3k+3=3(k+1)$



Thus, the inductive step and our proof are complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...