Tuesday, March 13, 2018

calculus - To find the minimum value of $|z+1|+|z-1|+|z-i|$ where $zin Bbb C$.

To find the minimum value of $|z+1|+|z-1|+|z-i|$ where $z\in \Bbb C$. Options:



$(A) \ 2$



$(B) \ 2\sqrt2$



$(C) \ 1+\sqrt3$




$(D) \ \sqrt5$



My logic is the sum will be minimum iff $z\in \Bbb C$ is any one of the three fixed points $1,-1,i$. And by calculation we see that the sum is min when take $z=i$.Is the solution correct?



Know that its not a good solution to the problem....searching for an elegant one...Suggestion reqd..



One can apply Fermat-Torricelli point as given in solution below by Quang Hoang and it is a good solution to the problem geometrically.....but this can be applied only if I know the result...searching a solution of this from known basic results of analysis...

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...