Wednesday, March 21, 2018

discrete mathematics - Proving $(0,1)$ and $[0,1]$ have the same cardinality

Prove $(0,1)$ and $[0,1]$ have the same cardinality.




I've seen questions similar to this but I'm still having trouble. I know that for $2$ sets to have the same cardinality there must exist a bijection function from one set to the other. I think I can create a bijection function from $(0,1)$ to $[0,1]$, but I'm not sure how the opposite. I'm having trouble creating a function that makes $[0,1]$ to $(0,1)$. Best I can think of would be something like $x \over 2$.



Help would be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...