Tuesday, November 14, 2017

real analysis - Proof square root of 4 is not irrational.



I was recently working on a question essentially worded in the following way:





Where does a proof of $\sqrt{4}$ being irrational fall apart when we try to apply the same principles used for proving that $\sqrt{2}$ is irrational.




I attempted by making the same (in this case, intuitively correct) assumptions that led to a contradiction in the case of $\sqrt{2}$:




  1. $\sqrt{4}$ is a rational number and can be written as $\dfrac{m}{n}$ where $n\neq0$


  2. $\dfrac{m}{n}$ is in lowest reduced terms; i.e. $m$ and $n$ are co-prime due to definition of rational numbers





Then I took the following steps:



$$m^2 = 4n^2$$



$$m^2 = 2(2n^2)$$



Thus, $m^2$ is even $\implies$ $m$ is even and can be written as $2k$.



$$m^2 = 4k^2 = 4n^2$$




$$k = n$$



Thus, $k$ is a factor of both $m$ and $n$, contradicting the second assumption that I made ($m$ and $n$ are co-prime).



Although I understand intuitively that this is not the case, doesn't this show that $\sqrt{4}$ is irrational?


Answer



You have proven that $n = k$ and $m = 2k$. In the case that $m$ and $n$ are coprime, set $k = 1$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...