Monday, November 27, 2017

abstract algebra - Is the square root of a complex number over a field always well-defined?

A complex number over a field $F$ is defined as $a+b\text{i}$ where $a,b\in F$ and $\text{i}$ is the square root of the inverse of the multiplicative identity of $F$, denoted as $\text{i}^2 = -1$. I have several questions about this definition.





  1. Is there any restriction on $F$ in addition to that the square roots of $-1$ must exist? Should $F$ be a quadratically closed field, i.e. every number in $F$ has a square root?


  2. How square root of a complex number is defined? The square root of a complex number over $\Bbb R$ can be defined by De Moivre's formula, but I don't see how this is extended to an arbitrary field.






For question 2, I can imagine a simple definition. For a complex number $c=\alpha+\beta\text{i}$, we can define the square root of $c$ as a complex number $a+b\text{i}$ st. $a^2-b^2=\alpha,2ab=\beta $. But I don't know if this definition is appropriate.



Any help and reference is appreciated. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...