Sunday, May 21, 2017

Show that the the linear map $I-L$ is invertible where $L:V rightarrow V$ and $L^3 = 0$. Find the invertible matrix in terms of a polynomial.



Let $L:V \rightarrow V$ be a linear map such that $L^3 = 0$ (i.e. $L^3$ is the zero matrix). Show that $I-L$ is invertible and find $(I-L)^{-1}$ in terms of a polynomial of $L$.




This question is giving me fits. How do I show this? Furthermore, how do I find the invertible matrix in terms of a polynomial of $L$? I know, by the Invertible Matrix Theorem, that the following are equivalent for an $n \times n$ square matrix:




  • A is an invertible matrix

  • A is row equivalent to the $n \times n$ identity matrix

  • A has n pivot positions.

  • $Ax=0$ has only the trivial solution.

  • The columns of A form a linearly independent set.

  • The linear transformation $x \rightarrow Ax$ is one-to-one.


  • The columns of A span $\mathbb{R}^n$

  • The linear transformation $x \rightarrow Ax$ maps $\mathbb{R}^n$ onto $\mathbb{R}^n$.

  • There is an $n \times n$ matrix $C$ such that $CA=I$.

  • There is an $n \times n$ matrix $D$ such that $AD=I$.

  • $A^T$ is an invertible matrix.



and so on.



New to linear algebra. Usually I can give a bit more in my questions.




Any help is appreciated.


Answer



Suppose



$L^k = 0, \; k \ge 1; \tag 1$



then consider the identity, which holds for any $m \ge 1$,



$L^m - I = (L - I)(\displaystyle \sum_0^{m - 1} L^j) = (L - I)(L^{m - 1} + L^{m - 2} + \ldots L + I); \tag 2$




this equation may easily be proved (by induction on $m$ if you like), and is quite likely familiar to the reader either from high-school algebra or the study of roots of unity in field theory. Be that as it may, with (1) in place we see that (2) becomes, with $m = k$,



$-I = (L - I)(L^{k - 1} + L^{k - 2} + L + I), \tag 3$



which shows that $I - L$ is invertible with inverse



$(I - L)^{-1} = L^{k - 1} + L^{k - 2} + L + I. \tag 4$



The particular case at hand may be resolved by taking $k = 3$.



No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...