Tuesday, May 16, 2017

monotone functions - Discontinuous derivative, positive on a dense set

Whether there exists a continuos monotone function $f: [0,1]\rightarrow [0,1]$ with the following properties:



(1) $f$ strictly increase, $f(0)=0$ and $f(1)=1$;




(2) there is no interval $A\subset [0,1]$, where the derivative $f'$ (a) exists, (b) is continuous and (c) is finite;



(3) there exists a set $B\subset [0,1]$ dense in $[0,1]$, where the derivative $f'$ (a) exists, (b) is positive and (c) is finite?



I can construct an example of function $f:[0,1]\rightarrow [0,1]$ with condition (1), whose derivative is either $0$, or $+\infty$ (at points, where the dewrivative exists). It follows from Lebesgues theorem that $f'$ is zero on some set $A\subset[0,1]$, which has Lebesgue measure 1 and, whence, is dence in $[0,1]$. Clearly, since the derivative is either $0$, or $+\infty$ (in the example, which I can construct), and the function is invertible, then $f'\neq 0$ at any interval.



In other words, I can answer "yes" to my question if ommit the word "positive" in the condition (3).



I hope that my question is "natural", but neither have found "in the internet" neither its proof, nor counter example, nor this question as it is (for example as open problem).

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...