Monday, May 1, 2017

combinatorics - How to do a combinatorial proof



I have a question which asked for a combinatorial proof. I have no clue how to do do a combinatorial proof.



The question is

prove that the total number of subsets in $\{x_1, x_2, x_3, ... ,x_n\}$ is $2^n$



I understand how it works. As in
for n=2 we have
$ {2 \choose 1} + {2 \choose 2} + 1= 4$



for n=3 we have
$ {3 \choose 1} + {3 \choose 2} + {3 \choose 3} + 1= 8$



and so on.
So there is a pattern which can be generalised with $2^n$



but how would i show this using a combinatorial proof? I dont even now where to start. Could you lead me?




Thanks


Answer



This is quite simple. You want the total number of subsets formed from $\{x_1, x_2, x_3, ... ,x_n\}$. Now, say $S$ is a subset. Ask yourself, "Is $x_1$ in $S$?" You have two choices, yes or no. Then ask yourself, "Is $x_2$ in $S$?", again two choices. Do this for all $x$'s. Every string of answers will define a unique subset $S$, clearly. The multiplication rule tells you that the total number of strings will be $2\cdot 2\cdot 2\dots 2=2^n$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...