Sunday, July 3, 2016

real analysis - Equivalent definitions of Continuity in $Bbb R$

I have some questions on logical implications of the definition of continuity. Here is the context:




  1. Let $(\Bbb R,d)$ a metric space with the standard metric.

  2. Define $\,\,f:\Bbb R \rightarrow\Bbb R\,$ to be a function, and let
    $x_0\in \Bbb R$

  3. $f$ is said to be continuous at $x_0$ $\iff
    [\forall\epsilon>0,\,\exists\delta>0;\,\forall x\in \Bbb
    R,\,|x-x_0|<\delta\implies |f(x)-f(x_0)|<\epsilon].$




My question is: Are the following implications true? I feel like I am mixing up some stuff.



1) $f$ is continuous at $x_0$ $\iff [\forall\epsilon>0,\,\exists\delta>0;\,\forall x\in \Bbb R,\,|x-x_0|<\delta\iff |f(\delta)|\le\epsilon].$ (So that it is sufficient to construct a $\delta$ satsifying $|f(\delta)|\le\epsilon).$



2) $f$ is continuous at $x_0$ $\iff|f(x-x_0)|\le f(x)-f(x_0)$ (I have a feeling I am mis-using the topological definition of continuity.



PARTIAL END: NO NEED TO READ BEYOND (but if you are feeling inspired, then please continue :)




$\\$



If 1) and 2) are true, then to prove continuity, can we do something along the lines of the following:? (Please forgive the complete lack of rigor, I am just trying to run things on a probably false sense of intuition)




  • Fix $\epsilon=\epsilon_0>0$


  • We wish to find a $\delta>0$ such that $\forall x\in \Bbb
    R,\,|x-x_0|<\delta\implies |f(x)-f(x_0)|<\epsilon_0.$


  • But, there exists $g(x)\in \Bbb R:g(x)*|x-x_0|=|f(x)-f(x_0)|$


  • But $g(x)*|x-x_0|=|f(x)-f(x_0)|



  • And $g(x)*|x-x_0|=|f(x)-f(x_0)|<\epsilon_0$


  • So we wish to find a $\delta>0$ such that $\delta\le \frac {\epsilon} {g(x)}$




If my last part gives no insight however wrong it may be, please tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...