Tuesday, July 19, 2016

calculus - A Proof for a Sequence Convergence

Here's my question to prove:




Define $a_n$ to be a sequence such that:




$$a_1=\frac{3}{2}$$
$$a_{n+1}=3-\frac{2}{a_n}$$





Prove that $a_n$ is convergent and calculate its limit.




Solution




Prove by induction that $a_n$ is monotonic increasing:






  • For $n=2$, $a_2=3-\frac{4}{3}=\frac{5}{3}>\frac{1}{2}$

  • Assume that $a_n>a_{n-1}$

  • For $n=k+1$: $$3-\frac{2}{a_n} - (3-\frac{2}{a_{n-1}})=-\frac{2}{a_n}+\frac{2}{a_{n-1}}>0$$, since $a_{n-1}\frac{2}{a_n}$


  • Therefore, the sequence is monotonic increasing.





Prove that $2$ is an upper bound of the sequence. Therefore, it is monotonic increasing and bounded, thus convergent (induction).





Now I think that $\lim_\limits{n\to\infty} a_n=2$, and I want to prove it with the squeeze theorem.



Is my solution, correct?



Is there a way to find supremum here?



Thanks,



Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...