Friday, January 8, 2016

Why can we replace an infinitesimal in a limit with an equivalent infinitesimal?



I read the following in a website.
Image



I want to know why we can replace one infinitesimal with an equivalent one. The idea seems intuitive but is there a formal proof?


Answer




enter image description here
So basically it's because for equivalent infinitesimal expressions of a function, the limit of its ratio with the original function as x approach 0 can be proved to be 1. (sin x/x for example. Sorry, I'm typing on a phone so the format is crude.)



Source: Wikipedia - Indeterminate Form.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...