Tuesday, January 12, 2016

calculus - What is the value for $lim_{xtoinfty} frac{sin x}{x}$?




What is the value for $\lim \limits _{x\to\infty} \frac{\sin x} x$?




I solved it by expanding $\sin x$ as



$$\sin x = x - \frac {x^3} {3!} \dotsc$$



So $\lim \limits _{x\to\infty} \frac {\sin x} x = 1 -\infty = - \infty$,



but the answer is $0$. Why? What I am doing wrong?


Answer



Yes , the answer is $0$ .




One way to see this is by using the inequality :



$$\left |\frac{\sin x}{x}\right | \leq \frac{1}{x}$$ when $x>0$ (this happens because $|\sin x\ | \leq 1$ )



When $x \to \infty $ we have $\frac{1}{x} \to 0$ so the limit must be $0$ .


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...