Friday, February 22, 2019

real analysis - Sum involving $cosh$ and $sinh$



I would like to prove the equation




$$\frac{\sinh\left(\left (1-\frac{1}{2m} \right)x\right)}{\sinh(x/2m)}=1+ \sum\limits_{n=1}^{m-1}2\cdot \cosh\left(\left( 1-n/m \right)x\right),\quad \forall x > 0, m\in\mathbb{N}.$$



where the sum is evaluated as $0$ for $m=1$.



But I do not see, how to approach this problem. Proof by induction seems not to be appropriate, and it does not seem to be a simple application of the standard addition formulas. Does anyone has an idea?



Best wishes


Answer



Substitute $x$ by $mx$. Write $\frac{1}{2}(e^x-e^{-x})$ instead of $\sinh(x)$ and $\frac{1}{2}(e^x+e^{-x})$ instead of $\cosh(x)$. Then you can calculate the right sum by using $\sum\limits_{n=1}^{m-1}z^n=z\frac{z^{m-1}-1}{z-1}$. At the end substitute $x$ by $\frac{x}{m}$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...