Tuesday, February 12, 2019

notation - How do you write a division of a division when it can't be simplified?



I have an equation that cannot be simplified, but looks ugly written out.



$N^y_j = \alpha_{y_j} + \Bigl\lfloor\frac{P^y_i}{\Bigl\lfloor{\frac{P^y_i}{N^y_j}\Bigr\rfloor}}\Bigr\rfloor$



I thought to use a one-line divide in the divisor which looks nicer aesthetically, but I'm not convinced:




$N^y_j = \alpha_{y_j} + \Bigl\lfloor\frac{P^y_i}{\lfloor{P^y_i \div N^y_j\rfloor}}\Bigr\rfloor$



What is the recommended way to write such an equation, please? Or can the equation be restructured somehow?


Answer



If $P$ and $N$ are natural number sequences, then you can use this instead:



$$N^y_j=\alpha_{y_j}+\Bigl\lfloor\frac{P^y_iN^y_j}{P^y_i-P^y_i\bmod{N^y_j}}\Bigr\rfloor$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...