Friday, February 1, 2019

probability - How to determine the PDF of the chi distribution using the Jacobian formula?



The Question is:





Assume $X$ has the $\chi^2$ distribution ("chi-squared") with $n$ degrees of freedom. What is the distribution of $X^{1/2}$?




I know that I can use the Jacobian formula since $\sqrt{\cdot}: (0,\infty) \rightarrow (0,\infty)$ is bijective and thus invertible and so on... Such that it satisfies The conditions of the Theorem. Then I get the probability density function
$$f_{X^{1/2}}(u) = K u^{n-1} e^{-u^2/2}$$
with $K \in \mathbb{R}$, but only for $u \in (0,\infty)$. How do I then determine the probability density function in the Interval $(-\infty,0]$ ? Intuitively I would say that it is zero there, since the probability density function $f_X$ of $X$ is $0$ since $X$ is $\chi^2$ distributed. But how do I know for sure? How can I show this?



Thanks a lot in advance!


Answer



If $X \sim \mathsf{Chisq}(df=n)$ then its PDF is $0$ on $(-\infty,0).$

The square root transformation maps $(0,\infty)$ to itself.
(Notice that if $X$ had negative values, you couldn't use the square
root transformation for those negative values.)
So $Y = X^{1/2}$ also has support $(0,\infty)$ and its PDF is also
$0$ on $(-\infty,0).$



Addendum. Here is a demo for 5 df using R statistical software:
Generate 100,000 values of $X,$ square them to get $Y$'s, make a
histogram of the $Y$'s, plot the PDF of $Y$ through the histogram
to see if it fits. (With the correct $K$ for the PDF of $Y,$ it does.)




m = 10^5;  x = rchisq(m, 5); y = sqrt(x)
hist(y, prob=T, br=30, col="skyblue2", ylim=c(0,.6))
k = 1/(2^(5/2-1)*gamma(5/2))
yy = seq(0, 6, by=.001); pdfy = k*yy^4*exp(-yy^2/2)
lines(yy, pdfy, type="l", lwd=2, col="red")


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...