Friday, May 18, 2018

trigonometry - Finite Series - reciprocals of sines




Find the sum of the finite series
$$\sum _{k=1}^{k=89} \frac{1}{\sin(k^{\circ})\sin((k+1)^{\circ})}$$
This problem was asked in a test in my school.
The answer seems to be $\dfrac{\cos1^{\circ}}{\sin^21^{\circ}}$ but I do not know how. I have tried reducing it using sum to product formulae and found out the actual value and it agrees well. Haven't been successful in telescoping it.


Answer



HINT:



$$\frac{1}{\sin k^\circ\sin(k+1)^\circ}=\frac1{\sin1^\circ}\frac{\sin (k+1-k)^\circ}{\sin k^\circ\sin(k+1)^\circ}$$
$$=\frac1{\sin1^\circ}\cdot\frac{\cos k^\circ\sin(k+1)^\circ-\sin k^\circ\cos(k+1)^\circ}{\sin k^\circ\sin(k+1)^\circ}=\frac1{\sin1^\circ}\left(\cot k^\circ-\cot(k+1)^\circ\right)$$




Can you recognize Telescoping series / sum?


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...