Friday, May 4, 2018

algebra precalculus - Solving $(cosalpha-lambda)^2+sin^2alpha=0$ for $lambda$.




I am trying to solve $$(\cos\alpha-\lambda)^2+\sin^2\alpha=0$$ for $\lambda$.
Expanding and using the identity $\sin^2x+\cos^2x=1$ yields
$$\lambda^2-2\lambda\cos\alpha+1 = 0$$
and using the quadratic formula gives me
$$\lambda=\cos\alpha\pm\sqrt{\cos^2\alpha-1}.$$



The solution to this problem is $$\lambda = \cos\alpha\pm i\sin\alpha$$
but I don't see how to obtain that result.


Answer




Note that $\sqrt{\cos^2 \alpha - 1} = \sqrt{-(1-\cos^2 \alpha)} = \sqrt{- \sin^2\alpha} = i\sqrt{\sin^2\alpha}$...



So $$\lambda=\cos\alpha\pm\sqrt{\cos^2\alpha-1} = \cos \alpha \pm i\sin\alpha$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...