Friday, June 9, 2017

integration - anti-derivative not differentiable at any point


Reading about primitives and anti-derivatives, I noticed that primitive functions of non-continuous functions are not differentiable at some point, but the set of non-differentiability is often negligible.


I tried to think of a function horrible enough to get a non-differentiable antiderivative, and I found some with non-negligible set of non-differentiability points.


But I never found an antiderivative that is nowhere differentiable. Can you find one?


Answer



It isn't possible. Lebesgue's Differentiation Theorem states that if $f$ is integrable over $\mathbb{R}$, and we let:


$$ F(x) = \int \limits_{(-\infty, x]} f(t) \, dt $$


Then $F$ is almost everywhere differentiable.



No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...