Saturday, June 17, 2017

algebra precalculus - Why is this a mutiplication equation VS a division equation?

Circle C Farm has 1,500 chickens. They separate the chickens into 6 different areas. How many chickens are in each area?



Define a variable and write an equation. Solve the equation.




According to my son's Math book, the equation is a multiplication equation, as follows:



Let x = the number of chickens in each area;



6x = 1500; x = 250



Why is this not a division equation even though it says they " separate the chicken into 6 areas". Doesn’t separating the chicken translate to dividing?



Would greatly appreciate your help in understanding what in the word problem would help my son figure out that he needs to write a multiplication equation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...