Thursday, June 8, 2017

calculus - Sequence convergence with inequality



Find the limits:





$$lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{n^4 -n^3}{e^n}$$




My Attempt:
using L'Hospital's rule I got that the limit equals to $0$.




(1) the sequence $a_n$ given by:
$$a_n = \int_{1}^{t} e^{-nx} x^3 dx, \ n=1,2,\ldots $$





then $a_n$ is the function value $F(n)$, as:



$$F(t) = \int_{1}^{t} e^{-nx} x^3 dx$$




(2) use the mean value theorem on the function $F(t)$ in the interval $[1,n]$ to show that: $$\frac{a_n}{n-1} = e^{-nc} c^3, \ c\in (1, n)$$





My Attempt:
I think I'm able to show this. Is it correct that $f(b)-f(a) = f(b) = a_n$ because $f(a) = o$ (integral from 1 to 1)?




(3) why is $$e^{-nc} c^3 (n-1) \le e^{-n} n^{3} (n-1), c\in (1,n) $$




My Attempt:
Need help, I don't know how to approach this. What is the role of $c$ here?





(4) Use the inequality to show that the sequence $a_n$ converges, and find the limit: $lim_{n\to \infty} a_n$




My Attempt:



(4) Not sure what to do here, maybe I have to solve (3) first.


Answer



For (3), it's very simple:





  • $c>1$ implies $-nc<-n$, and as the exponential is an increasing function, $\mathrm e^{-nc}<\mathrm e^{-n}$.

  • the $x^3$ function is also increasing, so $ c implies $c^3



As these inequalities involve only positive numbers, we can multiply them to get
$$e^{-nc}c^3
and there only remains to multiply both sides by the positive number $n-1$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...