Wednesday, April 12, 2017

complex analysis - Help with this indefinite integral using residues?


Question: How to evaluate this integral using residues$$\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x \sin x}{1 + x^2} dx$$



I integrate over the entire real axis and dividing it by 1/2 since the integrand is even, and then I do the thing with the turning it into $$-\mathrm{Im}\bigg(\int f\cdot e^{ix} dx\bigg)$$ and integrate over the upper half plane by finding the residues there, and there's only one, at $i$.


So I put it into the equation $\frac{x e^{iz}}{2x}$ and get $\frac{1}{2e}$, so I get when plugging that in


$$\begin{align}\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x \sin x}{1 + x^2} dx &= .5 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{x \sin x}{1 + x^2} dx \\&= .5 -\operatorname{Im} \Bigg[2\pi i \cdot \operatorname{Res}\bigg(\frac{x e^{ix}}{ 1 + x^2}; i\bigg)\Bigg]\\&= .5 \cdot \bigg[-\operatorname{Im}\Big(2\pi i\cdot \frac{1}{2e}\Big)\bigg] \\&= -\frac{\pi}{2e}\end{align}$$


But the answer's positive.


What did I mess up on?

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...