Thursday, February 25, 2016

real analysis - If $(f_n)to f$ uniformly and $f_n$ is uniformly continuous for all $n$ then $f$ is uniformly continuous




Show if is true or false: if $(f_n)$ converges uniformly to $f$, and $f_n$ is uniformly continuous for all $n$ then $f$ is uniformly continuous



I think is true. My attempt to prove it: if $(f_n)\to f$ uniformly then we can write


$$(\forall\varepsilon>0)(\exists N\in\Bbb N)(\forall x\in\mathcal D):|f_n(x)-f(x)|<\varepsilon,\quad\forall n>N\tag{1}$$


and cause all $f_n$ are uniformly continuous


$$(\forall\varepsilon>0)(\exists\delta>0)(\forall x,y\in\mathcal D):|x-y|<\delta\implies|f_n(x)-f_n(y)|<\varepsilon,\quad\forall n\in\Bbb N\tag{2}$$


and I want to prove that both conditions implies


$$(\forall\varepsilon>0)(\exists\delta>0)(\forall x,y\in\mathcal D):|x-y|<\delta\implies|f(x)-f(y)|<\varepsilon\tag{3}$$


where $\mathcal D$ is the domain of all of them (cause I have the previous knowledge that uniform convergence of continuous functions implies that the limit function is continuous).



Then from $(3)$ I can write


$$|f(x)-f(y)|=|f(x)-f_m(x)+f_m(x)-f(y)|\le |f(x)-f_m(x)|+|f_m(x)-f(y)|$$


Then I will use some $m$ that holds $(1)$ for some $\frac{\varepsilon}{3}$. And from $(2)$ I will use the $\delta$ that holds for the same $\frac{\varepsilon}{3}$. If $|f(y)-f_m(y)|<\frac{\varepsilon}{3}$ then $f(y)

$$\begin{align}|f(x)-f(y)|&\le|f(x)-f_m(x)|+|f_m(x)-f(y)|\\&<\frac{\varepsilon}{3}+|f_m(x)-f_m(y)-\frac{\varepsilon}{3}|\\&<\frac{\varepsilon}{3}+|f_m(x)-f_m(y)|+\frac{\varepsilon}{3}\\&<\frac{\varepsilon}{3}+\frac{\varepsilon}{3}+\frac{\varepsilon}{3}=\varepsilon\end{align}$$


then it proves that exists a $\delta$ such that $|f(x)-f(y)|<\varepsilon$ for some $\varepsilon$ in the required conditions. Now, can you check my proof, telling me if it is right or if it lacks something? Thank you in advance.


Answer



Choose a $\delta$ which works in equation $(2)$ for $\epsilon_0=\frac{\epsilon}{3}>0$. Then, by $(1)$ (uniform convergence) we have an $N$ such that $|f_n(x)-f(x)|<\varepsilon$ and $|f_n(y)-f(y)|<\varepsilon$ holds $\forall m>N$. Now we apply the manipulation in clark's comment to obtain:


$|f(x)-f(y)|\leq |f(x)-f_m(x)|+|f_m(x)-f_m(y)|+|f_m(y)-f(y)|$


From here, we have


$|f(x)-f_m(x)|<\epsilon_0=\dfrac{\epsilon}{3}$ by uniform converge (at $x$)



$|f_m(x)-f_m(y)|<\epsilon_0=\dfrac{\epsilon}{3}$ by uniform continuity (of $f_m$)


$|f_m(y)-f(y)|<\epsilon_0=\dfrac{\epsilon}{3}$ by uniform converge (at $y$)


Thus we now know that


$|f(x)-f_m(x)|+|f_m(x)-f_m(y)|+|f_m(y)-f(y)|<\dfrac{\epsilon}{3}+\dfrac{\epsilon}{3}+\dfrac{\epsilon}{3}=\epsilon$


as required.


Note how carefully I selected my $\delta$, feel free to ask why I did things this way if any of what I did seems unnecessary to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...