Thursday, February 18, 2016

calculus - Show that $sum_{n=1}^{infty}frac{sinfrac{x}{n}sin2nx}{x^2+4n}$ converges uniformly.



How to show that the following series converges uniformly? $$ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}u_n(x),\ \ \ u_n(x)=\frac{\sin\frac{x}{n}\sin2nx}{x^2+4n},\ \ x\in E=(-\infty;+\infty) $$



At first I tried to apply Dirichlet's test. However, I got stuck while trying to prove that $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\sin\frac{x}{n}\sin2nx$ is less than some fixed $M$ (multiplying and dividing by $2\sin x$ did not help much). In my other attmepts I also got stuck trying to limit the numerator. So, the problem is with these $\sin$ functions.


Answer




As $f(x)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\sin\frac{x}{n}\sin2nx}{x^2+4n}$ is even, we can limit the analysis on $[0, \infty)$.


Consider $$v_n(x)=\frac{x}{n(x^2+4n)}.$$


We have $$v_n^\prime(x)=\frac{4n^2-nx^2}{n^2(x^2+4n)^2}$$


Based on that, one can prove that $v_n$ is positive on $[0,\infty)$ and attains its maximum at $x_n = 2\sqrt n$. The maximum having for value $\frac{1}{2n^{3/2}}$. As $\sum \frac{1}{n^{3/2}}$ converges, $\sum v_n(x)$ converges uniformly on $[0, \infty)$ according to Weierstrass M-test.


We then get the uniform convergence of $\sum u_n(x)$ as $\vert u_n(x) \vert \le v_n(x)$ for all $n \in \mathbb N$ for $x \in [0,\infty)$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...