Sunday, February 21, 2016

geometry - New SAT Math Section: Pythagorean Theorem on Soccer Fields

So I attempted this problem and I'm very sure I'm doing it right but I keep getting it wrong as my answer choice is not even one of the answer choices listed. There is a picture that goes with the problem that I have attached.



Question: The picture below shows the dimensions of a soccer
field. Let x be the distance from the northwest corner
to the center of the eastern side and let y be the
distance from the northwest corner to the southeast
corner. To the nearest meter, what is y – x?



Image for the Question




So what I did was I drew out the triangles, the smaller one would have a horizontal side length of 90 m and a vertical side length of 40 m so by the pythagorean theorem, the x value (the hypotenuse) would be 98.49 m. I did the same with the larger triangle that had side lengths of 120 m and 80 m giving me a y of 144.22 m. Calculating y - x results in 45.73 m rounded to 46 m which is not an answer choice. The correct answer choice is actually A: 18 m. I'm not sure if the answer key is wrong or if I'm doing the problem wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...