Tuesday, February 16, 2016

functions - Does $f(X setminus A)subseteq Ysetminus f(A), forall Asubseteq X$ imply $f$ is injective ?



I know that if $f:X\to Y$ is injective then $f(X \setminus A)\subseteq Y\setminus f(A), \forall A\subseteq X$ . Is the converse true i.e.



if $f:X \to Y$ is a function such that $f(X \setminus A)\subseteq Y\setminus f(A), \forall A\subseteq X$ , then is it true that $f$ is



injective ?


Answer




Yes. We prove the contrapositive. Suppose that $f$ is not injective; then there are distinct $x_0,x_1\in X$ such that $f(x_0)=f(x_1)$. Let $A=\{x_0\}$; then



$$f[X\setminus A]=f[X]\nsubseteqq Y\setminus f[A]=Y\setminus\{f(x_0)\}\;.$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...