Sunday, February 28, 2016

calculus - Convergence of $sum_{n=1}^{infty} logleft(frac{(2n)^2}{(2n+1)(2n-1)}right)$


I have to show that the series $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \log\left(\frac{(2n)^2}{(2n+1)(2n-1)}\right)$ converges.


I have tried Ratio Test and Cauchy Condensation Test but it didn't work for me. I tried using Comparison Test but I couldn't make an appropriate inequality for it. Could you please give me some hints. Any help will be appreciated.



Answer



$0<\log (1+x)0 . $ Therefore $0<\log (\frac{4 n^2}{4 n^2-1})=\log (1+\frac{1}{4 n^2-1})< \frac{1}{4 n^2-1} < \frac{1}{2 n^2}. $ The sum $\sum (1/2 n^2)$ converges by Cauchy Condensation. Your sum therefore converges by Comparison.


(Where did that term $\frac{1}{2 n^2}$ come from in the inequality? From the idea, with $4 n^2=x$, that $\frac{1}{x-1}<\frac{2}{x}$ if $x$ is big enough.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...