Wednesday, December 2, 2015

notation - Is modular arithmetic defined for all rational numbers (with denominators coprime to modulus)?

In the expression $\frac{1}{b}\pmod m$, where $(b,m)=1$, is $\frac{1}{b}$:



a) a rational number (and so rational numbers are defined in modulo arithmetic using multiplicative inverses)?



b) just created notation for $($the inverse of $b)\pmod m$ that looks like division just to confuse us (and is used because of similarities between division and division $\pmod m$)? (same for $b^{−1}$)




Is it a) or b)?



Here it says it is a).



Bill Dubuque from M.SE seemingly claims it is b). So does a comment here, also this blog.






Edit: now that I thought about it, either




1) the notation $\frac{a}{b}$



2) or the definition $a\equiv b\pmod {m}\iff m\mid a-b$



is misleading. 1) seems a lot more likely, since I'm not sure how the $\bmod$ function could be defined otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...