Thursday, December 24, 2015

elementary number theory - Prove by induction that $3^n +7^n −2$ is divisible by $8$ for all positive integers $n$...

Prove by induction that $3^n +7^n −2$ is divisible by $8$ for all positive integers $n$.



So far I have the base case completed, and believe I am close to completing the proof itself.




Base case:$(n=1)$



$3^1 + 7^1 - 2 = 8/8 = 1 $



Inductive Hypothesis: Assume that $3^n +7^n −2$ is divisible by 8 for all positive integers n.



Induction step $(n+1)$ case:



$$ 3^{n+1} + 7^{n+1} - 2 $$




$$3(3^{n}) + 7(7^{n}) - 2$$



$$3^n + 7^n = 8x $$



-It seems to me that this could be the end of the proof because whatever the answer is would be a multiple of 8: but I am unsure, any help is appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...