Wednesday, December 9, 2015

calculus - Integration by substitution

I'm attempting to learn Integration by substitution. However, I'm having trouble understanding how the $ \frac{dy}{dx} $ notation is being manipulated. I always understood that it was just notation and it shouldn't be treated as a fraction.




Consider the following integral: $$\int18x^2\sqrt[3]{6x^3+5}$$



In Paul's math notes, it then follows to let $$ u = 6x^3 + 5 $$ $$ \frac{du}{dx} = 18x $$



then this is the step, which I doubt the legitimacy and don't understand why it was done: $$du = 18x^2 dx$$



It then concludes the integral can be written as, $$ \int (6x^3+5)^\frac{1}{4}(18x^2dx) $$ $$ = \int u^\frac{1}{4} du $$



I didn't understand any of that...

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...