Saturday, December 26, 2015

real analysis - When convolution of two functions has compact support?

It is well-known that,
if $f$ and $g$ are compactly supported continuous functions, then their convolution exists, and is also compactly supported and continuous (Hörmander 1983, Chapter 1).




Next,
Suppose $f\in L^{1}(\mathbb R)$ is given.



My Question is:




Can we expect to choose $\phi \in C_{c}^{\infty}(\mathbb R)$ with $\int_{\mathbb R}\phi(t)dt=1$ and the support of $f\ast \phi$ is contained in a compact set, that is, $\operatorname{supp} f\ast \phi \subset K;$ where $K$ is some compact set in $\mathbb R$ ?




Thanks,

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...