Sunday, November 1, 2015

trigonometry - How does a complex exponential turn into the sinc function?



Suppose I have a complex variable $j$ such that we have



$f(u) = \frac{1}{ju}[e^{\frac{ju}{2}} - e^{\frac{-ju}{2}}]$.




Could somebody please explain how this turns into a sinc function ?



I know I have to apply Euler's Formula $e^{jx} = \cos(x) + j\sin(x)$.



So applying the formula to $f(u) = \frac{1}{ju} [ (\cos(\frac{u}{2}) + j\sin(\frac{u}{2})) - (\cos(-\frac{u}{2}) + j\sin(-\frac{u}{2}))$



$= \frac{1}{ju} [ (\cos(\frac{u}{2}) + j\sin(\frac{u}{2})) - \cos(\frac{u}{2}) + j\sin(-\frac{u}{2}))$



$= \frac{1}{ju} [ j\sin(\frac{u}{2})) + j\sin(\frac{u}{2}))$




$= \frac{1}{ju} [ 2j\sin(\frac{u}{2}))$



$= \frac{1}{u} [ 2\sin(\frac{u}{2}))$



But how does this become the sinc function ?


Answer



Your last expression is equal to $\displaystyle \frac{\sin u/2}{u/2}$ which is equal to $sinc(u/2)$. Is this what you were looking for?


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...