Sunday, November 29, 2015

Find sum of infinite anharmonic(?) series


I need help with this:


$$ \frac{1}{1\cdot2\cdot3\cdot4}+\frac{1}{2\cdot3\cdot4\cdot5}+\frac{1}{3\cdot4\cdot5\cdot6}\dots $$ I don't know how to count sum of this series. It is similar to standard anharmonic series so it should have similar solution. However I can't work it out.


Answer



What you're evaluating is the infinite series


$$\sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{1}{n(n+1)(n+2)(n+3)}.$$



Since


$$\frac{1}{n(n+3)} = \frac{1}{3n}-\frac{1}{3(n+3)},$$


then


$$\frac{1}{n(n+1)(n+2)(n+3)} = \frac{1}{3n(n+1)(n+2)}-\frac{1}{3(n+1)(n+2)(n+3)}.$$


So your series telescopes to


$$\frac{1}{3(1)(2)(3)} = \frac{1}{18}.$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...