Sunday, November 29, 2015

linear algebra - T/F: If $A$ and $B$ are matrices such that AB=$I_n$, then $A$ and $B$ are square matrices.

In my book (Linear Algebra by Steven Andrilli 4th ed.) There is a true/false question in the chapter 2 review that's all about "systems of linear equations." The question asks:



T/F: If $A$ and $B$ are matrices such that AB=$I_n$, then $A$ and $B$ are square matrices.



I said that this was true. The correct answer according to the book is False.




If $A$ is $m$x$n$ non-square matrix and $B$ is $n$x$p$ square matrix, then $A$*$B$ is an $m$x$p$ matrix. I don't understand how it can be square if $A$ or $B$ is non square.

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...