Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Evaluate using complex integration: $int_{-infty}^infty frac{dx}{(x^2+1)(x^2+9)}$





Evaluate $$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{dx}{(x^2+1)(x^2+9)}$$




Firsly I found the residues of this function:



$$Res(i)=-i/16$$



$$Res(-i)=i/16$$




$$Res(3i)=i/48$$



$$Res(-3i)=-i/48$$



I then closed the contour using the upper half semi circle $C$, parametrized by $Rz^{it}$ where $0\leq t\leq \pi$ and $R$ is radius, which I'll take to infinity.



Using partial fractions:



$$\frac{1}{(z^2+1)(z^2+9)}=\frac{1}{8(z^2+1)}-\frac{1}{8(z^2+9)}$$




ML Lemma(I think) gives me that this integral is $\leq \pi R / (R^2-1)$ and $\leq \pi R / (R^2-9)$



But then the residue theorem:



$2\pi i (i/16+i/48)$ is negative. What is my mistake?


Answer



Since complex integration and I do not get along,
I would just do this
with real integration.
I know that this isn't

what the OP asked for,
but it can be useful
to solve a problem
in more than one way.



$\int_0^{\infty} \frac{dx}{x^2+a^2}
= \frac1{a}\arctan(\frac{x}{a})|_0^{\infty}
= \frac{\pi}{2a}
$,
so

$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{x^2+a^2}
= \frac{\pi}{a}
$.



Using your partial fraction decomposition of
$\frac{1}{(z^2+1)(z^2+9)}
=\frac1{8}(\frac{1}{z^2+1}-\frac{1}{z^2+9})
$,
I get
$\frac{\pi}{8}(1-\frac1{3})

=\frac{\pi}{12}
$.



Note that
$ \int \frac{dx}{x^2-a^2}
= -\frac1{a}(\tanh^{-1}(x/a))
$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...