Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Is a decimal with a predictable pattern a rational number?

I'm starting as a private Math tutor for a high school kid; in one of his Math Laboratories (that came with an answer sheet) I was stumped by an answer I encountered in the True or False section (I'm certain it should've been a False):




The number 4.212112111211112... is a rational number.




I've been searching through several threads and search results, but I haven't found anything that confirms or denies this.




My reasoning to answer 'False' is that, since the pattern is non-terminating and will never repeat, then it must be an Irrational number; granted, there is a predictable pattern ... but it is not repeating.



Am I wrong? I just want to make sure I give this kid the correct answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...