Wednesday, October 21, 2015

algebra precalculus - How to find $x$ given $log_{9}left(frac{1}{sqrt3}right) =x$ without a calculator?



I was asked to find $x$ when: $$\log_{9}\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt3}\right) =x$$
Step two may resemble:
$${3}^{2x}=\frac{1}{\sqrt3}$$



I was not allowed a calculator and was told that it was possible. I put it into my calculator and found out that $x$=-0.25 but how do you get that?



Answer



You are asked to find $\displaystyle \log_{9}\big(\frac{1}{\sqrt3}\big)$, which means a number $x$ such that
$$9^x = \frac{1}{\sqrt3}$$



At this point, it is natural to express everything as powers of $3$. (I admit that for this to come naturally takes some skill and experience: for example, you need to be able to see that $9 = 3^2$ and that $\sqrt{3} = 3^{1/2}$.) So:



$$3^{2x} = 3^{-1/2}$$



At this point it is a simple equation:




$$2x = -\frac12,$$



or $$x = -\frac14.$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...