Sunday, June 9, 2019

real analysis - Prove: ${a_n}$ converges to $a$

Given the sequence ${b_n}$, let $lim_{n \to \infty}\ b_n = b$.



Suppose that the sequence ${a_n}$ and the number $a$ have the property for which there exists $M\in \mathbb{R}$ and there exists $N \in \mathbb{N}$ such that



$$|a_n - a| \leq M\cdot |b_n - b|, \ \forall n\in \mathbb{N}: \ n \geq N$$




Prove that the $\lim_{n \to \infty} \ a_n = a$.






I need to show that:



$$\forall \epsilon > 0 \ \ \exists N \in \mathbb{N}: \ \forall n \geq N: |a_n - a| < \epsilon$$



I know how to set $\epsilon$ such that $\epsilon > 0$.
I’m lost from here. Because ${b_n}$ converges I know




$|b_n - b| < \epsilon$



And I think it’s safe to assume:



$|b_n - b| \leq M\cdot |b_n - b|$.



So I could prove this either by showing



$$|a_n - a| \leq |b_n - b|$$




Or,



$$M \cdot |b_n - b| < \epsilon$$



But I’m not sure how to start either way. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...