Wednesday, June 26, 2019

abstract algebra - Finding a basis for $Bbb{Q}(sqrt{2}+sqrt{3})$ over $Bbb{Q}$.

I have to find a basis for $\Bbb{Q}(\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3})$ over $\Bbb{Q}$.



I determined that $\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}$ satisfies the equation $(x^2-5)^2-24$ in $\Bbb{Q}$.



Hence, the basis should be $1,(\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}),(\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3})^2$ and $(\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3})^3$.



However, this is not rigorous. How can I be certain that $(x^2-5)^2-24$ is the minimal polynomial that $\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}$ satisfies in $\Bbb{Q}$? What if the situation was more complicated? In general, how can we ascertain thta a given polynomial is irreducible in a field?



Moreover, checking for linear independence of the basis elements may also prove to be a hassle. Is there a more convenient way of doing this?




Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...