Sunday, January 21, 2018

what exactly is a function of function?$f(x)=2x$ ,$g=3f$, what exactly is $g$?

The question: a function $f(x)=2x$ with the domain $[1,2]$ the codomain $[2,4]$ the image $[2,4]$ when we take a transformation of this function like $g=3f$, what exactly is this $g$ function is?


My guess:


  1. we can think $g$ is the function that takes the domain of $f$ as its own domain, so $g$ is a function $g(x)=6x $ with the domain $[1,2]$ and the codomain $[6,12]$.$x\in[1,2]$

  2. we can think $g$ is the composition function $g=h\circ f$ ,here $f(x)=2x$ with the domain $[1,2]$,$h(x)=3x$,with the domain$[2,4]$.

Both of them can make sense, so which one is right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...