Saturday, January 13, 2018

analysis - Summing the series $(-1)^k frac{(2k)!!}{(2k+1)!!} a^{2k+1}$



How does one sum the series $$ S = a -\frac{2}{3}a^{3} + \frac{2 \cdot 4}{3 \cdot 5} a^{5} - \frac{ 2 \cdot 4 \cdot 6}{ 3 \cdot 5 \cdot 7}a^{7} + \cdots $$



This was asked to me by a high school student, and I am embarrassed that I couldn't solve it. Can anyone give me a hint?!


Answer



HINT $\quad \:\;\;\rm (a^2+1) \: S' = 1 - a \: S \;\:$ by transmuting the coefficient recurrence to a differential equation.



$\rm\;\Rightarrow\; 1 = (a^2+1) \: S' + a \: S \; = \; f \: (f \; S)' \;\;$ for $\rm\;\; f = (a^2+1)^{1/2}$




$\rm\displaystyle\;\Rightarrow\; S = f^{-1} \int \; f^{-1} = \frac{\sinh^{-1}(a)}{(a^2+1)^{1/2}}$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...