Sunday, January 14, 2018

sequences and series - infinite summation of exponential functions




I've discovered through Wolfram Alpha that



$\sum_{t=1}^{\infty}{e^{-bt}}=\frac{1}{e^b-1}$



What are the steps of derivation here? According to infinite summation of power series:



$\sum_{t=1}^{\infty}p^t=\frac{1}{1-p}$,



I expected the solution to be




$\sum_{t=1}^{\infty}{(e^{-b})^t}=\frac{1}{1-e^{-b}}$.



What am I getting wrong?



In extension, how do I derive



$\sum_{t=1}^{\infty}{e^{-b(t-1)}}$ ?


Answer



Your second formula isn't quite right: if $|p|<1$, then

$$ \sum_{t=1}^{\infty}p^t=\frac{p}{1-p}$$
Using this with $p=e^{-b}$ yields
$$ \sum_{t=1}^{\infty}e^{-bt}=\frac{e^{-b}}{1-e^{-b}}=\frac{1}{e^b-1}$$
as claimed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...