Friday, February 17, 2017

real analysis - Prove that $f$ is continuous, $f'$ is bounded...


Suppose $\alpha$ and $\beta$ are real numbers and $\beta$ $\gt 0$. We define the function $f$ on $[-1,1]$ by $$f(x)=x^\alpha \sin(|x^{-\beta}|), x \neq0 $$

$$f(x)= 0, x=0.$$
Prove that
a. $f$ is continuous iff $\alpha \gt 0$.



b. $f'(0)$ exists iff $\alpha \gt 1$.



c. $f'$ is bounded iff $\alpha \ge 1+\beta$.



d. $f'$ is continuous iff $\alpha \gt 1+\beta$.



[You can use the standard properties of trig functions and their derivatives.]





I've been able to come up with something for a. and b. but I don't know how to do c. or d.



I'll post my a. and b.



a. $f$ is continuous iff $\forall ({x_n}) \rightarrow 0$ for $x_n \neq 0$. Then $x^\alpha\sin(|x^{-\beta}|) \rightarrow 0$ as $n \rightarrow \infty$.



I considered $x_n =\frac{1}{2n\pi + \frac{\pi}2} \gt 0$




$x_n \rightarrow 0$ as $n \rightarrow 0$, hence $\alpha \gt 0$. $\alpha \neq 0$ because then $x_n^\alpha =1$. $\alpha \not \lt 0 $ because then $x_n^\alpha \rightarrow \infty$ as $n \rightarrow \infty$.



It is easy to see that $f$ is continuous on $[-1,1] \setminus \{0\}$. We find that $$ -|x^\alpha| \le x^\alpha \sin (|x|^{-\beta}) \le |x^\alpha|$$
(because sin varies between $-1$ and $1$). $|x^\alpha| \rightarrow 0$ as $x \rightarrow 0$ since $\alpha \gt 0$. Therefore $f$ is continuous everywhere.



b. A function needs to be continuous everywhere on $[-1,1]$ in order to be differentiable there. In the previous part we proved that $\alpha \gt 0$, so we know that $\alpha$ has to be at least this.



$f'(0)$ exists iff $x^{\alpha-1} \sin (|x|^{-\beta}) \rightarrow 0$ as $x \rightarrow0$. We see that is does, if $\alpha \gt 1$. Therefore $f'(0)=0$ and exists.



Is what I have correct? And how would I do parts c and d?




Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...