Wednesday, February 15, 2017

elementary number theory - Is $frac{sqrt7}{sqrt[3]15}$ rational or irrational?



Is $\frac{\sqrt7}{\sqrt[3]15}$ rational or irrational? Prove it.




I am having a hard time with this question. So far what I did was say, assume it's rational, then $$\frac{\sqrt7}{\sqrt[3]15}=\frac{x}{y} \Rightarrow \sqrt{7}y=x\sqrt[3]15$$
I then showed the product of a rational number and an irrational number is irrational so the expression above is irrational on the left and right side. I can't get to a contradiction to prove it's irrational so I'm currently thinking it is rational but I don't know how to go about proving it.


Answer



Factoring $\,7^{\,\large \color{}{3}} y^{\large 6}\!=15^{\large 2}x^{\large\color{}{6}}$ into primes, $\,7\,$ has odd power $\,3\!+\!6j\,$ on LHS, but even $\,6k\,$ on RHS


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...