Thursday, February 9, 2017

limits - Solving $lim_{n to infty}{frac{n^a}{logleft(left| log(n^a)right|right)}}$




I haven't practiced limits for years, now I need them to solve an exercise and I don't know whether I have come up with the right solution.



$$\lim_{n \to \infty}{\frac{n^a}{\log\left(\left| \log(n^a)\right|\right)}}$$



where $a$ is a fixed constant.



Since I have the form $\frac{\infty}{\infty}$, I apply the De L'Hopital theorem, so I derive both numerator and denominator, so:



$$\lim_{n \to \infty}{\frac{an^{a-1}}{\frac{a}{n\log(n^a)}}} = \lim_{n \to \infty}{n\log(n^a)} = \lim_{n \to \infty}{a n\log(n)} = \infty$$




Can you please give me any feedback?


Answer



The expression is defined only for $a\ne0$, because for $a=0$ the denominator would have $\log 0$.



So, assume $a>0$; then you can rewrite the denominator as
$$
\log(|\log n^a|)=\log(|a\log n|)=\log(|a|\log n)=\log|a|+\log\log n
$$
(at least for $n>1$, which is implied).




Since both numerator and denominator go to infinity, you can apply l'Hôpital's theorem:
$$
\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{n^a}{\log|a|+\log\log n}=
\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{an^{a-1}}{\frac{1}{\log n}\frac{1}{n}}=
\lim_{n\to\infty}an^{a-1}\cdot n\log n=
\lim_{n\to\infty}an^a\log n
$$
provided this last limit exists. Does it?



Don't forget to apply the chain rule when differentiating $\log\log n$.




For $a<0$ you have a slightly different, but easier, situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...