Tuesday, October 2, 2018

calculus - Show that $a - b mid f(a) - f(b)$


I have seen this lemma elsewhere.


Suppose $A$ is a domain, and $f \in A[X]$. Prove that



$$a - b \mid f(a) - f(b)$$



I need to prove this.


$$f(a) - f(b) \equiv 0 \pmod{a-b}$$ basically.


Let, $a - b = c$


$$f(a) - f(b)/(a-b) = f'(\xi)$$ for Some $\xi \in (a, b)$.


But I dont see it showing divisibility


Answer



Let $A$ be a domain with field of fractions $K$ and let $$ f(X)=a_0+a_1X+a_2X^2+\cdots+a_nX^n $$ be a polynomial in $A[X]$. Then for all $a\neq b\in A$, $$ \begin{eqnarray} f(b)-f(a)&=&(a_0+a_1b+\cdots+a_nb^n)-(a_0+a_1a+\cdots+a_na^n)\\ &=& (b-a)\left(a_1+a_2\frac{b^2-a^2}{b-a}+\cdots+a_n\frac{b^n-a^n}{b-a}\right) \end{eqnarray} $$ is certainly valid in $K$. But now note that both factors actually belong to $A$ since $b-a$ divides $b^k-a^k$ for all $k\geq0$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...