Thursday, October 25, 2018

Compute infinite sum of a arithmetico-geometric series $sum_{i=0}^{infty} frac{i}{2^i}$




I am trying to compute the sum



$\sum_{i=0}^{\infty} \frac{i}{2^i}$



which I know should be equal to $2$, but I cannot prove it.



If I am not mistaken, it should be a arithmetico-geometric series (Wikipedia), hence the title.




Any help greatly appreciated!


Answer



Hint



Consider the series $$\sum_{i=0}^{\infty} {i}{x^i}=x \sum_{i=0}^{\infty} {i}{x^{i-1}}=x \frac {d}{dx}\sum_{i=0}^{\infty} {x^{i}}$$ Now you have a geometric series. Compute its sum, take its derivative, multiply by $x$ and replace $x$ by $\frac {1}{2}$.



I am sure that you can take from here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...