Saturday, October 6, 2018

calculus - Prove or disprove the converse of a proposition of test of convergence of series



We can see the fact that:



If a series $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n}$ converges then:



$\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (a_n + a_{n+1} +···+ a_{n+r} )=0 $




This is my proof:



$\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (a_n + a_{n+1} +···+ a_{n+r} )$



$=\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n + \displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}a_{n+1} +···+\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_{n+r} $



$=0+0+...+0=0$



Is it correct?




Also I want to ask:Does the converse of the implication holds:



That it: Does $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (a_n + a_{n+1} +···+ a_{n+r} )=0 $
imply the series $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n}$ convergent?



Whether it is true or not. I am searching for a proof and a justification. Could someone help to prove or disprove the statement?



Thanks so much !


Answer



As long as $r$ is finite, I believe your answer is correct. The converse is not true. Let's, for example, let $a_n = 1/n.$



No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...