Sunday, October 14, 2018

elementary number theory - Prove that $a$ divides $b$ and $b$ divides $a$ if and only if $a = pm b$


Let $a$ and $b$ be nonzero integers. Prove that $a$ divides $b$ and $b$ divides $a$ if and only if $a = \pm b$.




Since this is a iff statement, I need to prove it both ways:



$\Rightarrow$ If $a=\pm b$, then $a$ divides $b$ and $b$ divides $a$; and



$\Leftarrow$ If $a$ divides $b$ and $b$ divides $a$, then $a=\pm b$.




I tried to prove it but I don't know how to manage the $\pm$ sign, can anyone give me a hit or suggestion to start this proof?



Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...